History of the club - 1924 - 2024

Image Description

The first documented bicycle club in the Gt. Yarmouth area, held its first race in September 1879. The winner of the event E.H. Morgan won a trophy which was donated by the Mayor of the time E.H.H. Combe, Esq.

A year after this inaugural race in the town, the Comet Bicycle was established and held a “Club Run” from Britannia Pier over to Norwich taking place on 26th March and in June of the same year, a Handicap race for club members was held along South Denes road. In September the club held a 10-mile race between Acle and Gt. Yarmouth, the prize for the event was a Silver medal to be presented by Mr. J.F. Derry, only two members decided to take part, the winner being the Club’s Vice-Captain Mr. R Thompson. In 1891 the Club held its second annual race meeting where a few more members were riding, the one-mile championship was won by W.E. Sacret, starting last; being the scratch rider, he not only won the handicap award but also the scratch event.

The “Yarmouth Independent” of 7th February 1891 reported that the “re-organised” Gorleston Bicycle Club would meet at the Crown & Anchor Inn on Baker Street in Gorleston. The 28th February issue noted that the subscription was 2/- annually, & in the 21st March issue, it was reported that the first ride would start at the Recreation Ground. Meanwhile, the 28th March 1891 issue reported the second Annual General Meeting of the East Norfolk Cycling Club, whose headquarters were at Jubilee Works, Lancaster Road, & whose badge was a wheel & flying fish.

The Great Yarmouth Cycling Club held an 18-mile handicap event through the villages south of Gorleston in September 1897. The event was won by a D.A. Lockhart in a very respectable, considering the machines of the time, in 1 hour 24 minutes.

It is also known that the Great Yarmouth Wheelers were formed in 1891 and by 1889 another club was formed this being East Norfolk Cycling Club.

When the Wellesley Road recreation ground opened, a cinder cycling track was added to deal with the great interest in cycling that had built up in previous years. The grounds opening athletic and cycling meeting included events for both bicycles and tricycles, these meeting continued for a number of years and attracted many stars, in 1893 A.J. Watson (National 5 mile Champion) won both the scratch cycling events. There was also an Athletic and Cycling track in nearby Gorleston, at the Recreation ground near to St. Andrews Church, though there appear to be no records available as to any events held there.

From 1894 cycling events were held for several years, at the recreation ground, in conjunction with Essex Cycling Union Limited. These meetings were advertised as the greatest gathering of London and Norfolk crack riders and runners ever seen.

The Great Yarmouth Wheelers were formed in 1891 and organised their annual sports on the Wellesley recreation ground and in 1895 organised a 130-mile circuit of Norfolk, the course for this event went to Kings Lynn and back via Dereham and Thetford.